Thursday, August 12, 2010

Your guess is as good as mine.

I have no idea where my muse went. Maybe took a job as a census taker. Maybe became a nun. Maybe joined up with the roller derby. Maybe became a flight attendant for JetBlue.

Wherever, it was obviously a better paying gig.

But thanks to lots of pressure demands threats concern from my friends, I'm ready to give this blogging thing another go. Well, that, plus I have a lot of stuff to crab about.
________________

I recently perused the May 2010 copy of More magazine. If you're not familiar with More, it's a publication for "mature women," allegedly to encourage them to stay hip and relevant and to celebrate aging. (As if.)

I could take the magazine a lot more seriously if they didn't always feature surgically enhanced 40-year-old actresses who celebrate aging by getting back into their size 2 jeans. Forty isn't even "mature," in my book. If you're young enough that your ovaries are still working and your knees don't look like they've grown an eyelid of thigh skin, you have no business calling yourself a mature woman. More would gain a lot more readers if, once in a while, they featured a 65-year-old woman with a face resembling a Basset hound who gave in and bought bigger size pants because she refuses to give up real butter.

Anyway. This particular issue of More included interviews with some comediennes and female comedy writers, and this statement by Sherri Shepherd struck a chord with me:

"Comedy is an art form where you have to be imperfect. That's what makes you funny. Young and pretty isn't as funny as old and pissed off about it."

Mm hm. Which is why my next post, about the challenges of aging, is going to be titled, "Survivor: AARP."

13 comments:

Cracked Pot said...

I love it. Can't wait until the next post. I guess I have to but I definitely look forward to it.

Rick and Carol Hudson said...

Can't wait.

Jenny said...

Hallelujah! You posted again! No pressure, but I LIVE for your posts! Can't wait for the next one. BTW - my knees have the eyelid thigh skin thingie goin'on! I must be very relevant! ;)

Tasha said...

Glad to see you posting again!!! I look forward to your next post.

TobyBo said...

welcome back!

mountainlaurel said...

Magazine editors have rich fantasy lives--on the same order as cookbook authors who think that a casserole made with one pound of ground beef will feed four people.

Jen said...

VERY glad to "see" you back. I've definitely had some long non-blogging periods as well. Sometimes we just need a break. I hope it's not another 6 months between your posts, though!

Sunydazy said...

So glad you're back! :-)

Nancy said...

Lol! I won't give up real butter either, so it's only a matter of time...

Keeley said...

Well hot damn, it's about time you blogged again. Love the new design. =)

lillinda said...

yeah !! You're back ! See, I never deleted you from the "followers". I knew you'd be back when those hot flashes tapered off a bit!
I looked at More once but decided doing laundry was more satisfying !!

trinabambina said...

Oh my land lady!! I am so glad to read that you are back!! You are my most often "recommended read" to other bloggers...can't wait to read more - I need to laugh!!!

www.traveltabloid.co.uk said...

loved your statement about comedy.. it's so nice and so true. nice post. please keep sharing