Monday, November 10, 2008

So I thought, Why should I keep all this fun to myself?

Last night I realized I hadn't exercised in quite a while, so I got out my 10x mirror. Looking at myself in that thing gets my heart rate up to anaerobic levels, and I don't even have to break a sweat. The bad part is that instead of getting a runner's high, I get a magnifier's depression.

Anyway. Using my mirror, I discovered my head has more silver than a Taos gift shop. My 25th wedding anniversary is coming up in a couple of years, and you know that's the silver anniversary. As opposed to the 50th, which is the golden anniversary. It's named that because if you've lived that long, your kids are probably wondering if they can get any money from your gold dental work. So.  I figure that, by my silver anniversary, with a few flowers and one of those glittery floral picks that say "25" stuck in my hair, my head can be the centerpiece. With any luck, all of our guests will also be needing 10x mirrors to see anything clearly, so they won't notice.

But that's not the point of this post. The point - and I do have one - is this. I didn't have gray hair until I had children. Specifically, one child. Specifically specifically, Danger Boy, who last week celebrated his eighteenth birthday.

I thought it might be nice to share with the world just a little of what I've witnessed over the last 18 years.


<-- For over two years, we didn't have to use a lawn sprinkler. Just set the boy outside and made sure he spent a few extra minutes around the flower beds. 


 











The consummate air traveler. Note: this was before 9/11, when passengers were allowed to take their own pacifiers through security.


And you thought Post-It notes were just for, well, notes. Betcha didn't know you can use them to block alien brain waves.


<--- Homeschool multitasking: doing math & gymnastics at the same time!

When traveling by car, most people take 10-minute restroom breaks. Not Danger Boy. He takes unauthorized 30-minute rock climbing expeditions and gets back in the car with four pounds of dirt in his shoes, smelling of skunk cabbage.


Danger Boy Principle #12: An activity isn't any fun unless you ramp up the potential injury factor times 50.



The infamous "Brownie Ball" challenge.



Followed by "Bag of Burned Popcorn Ball."


Chronicles of Danger, chapter 2, verse 8: And God made trees, and He commanded Danger Boy to climb to the top, yea, the very top of the tree. Then the Lord did say, "Behold, see the land below you which I have created. And see your mother having heart failure. Verily."


*sigh* He's cute. He's funny. And I hope God gives him a kid (or six) just like him.

15 comments:

Katy said...

I have one that has given me gray hair too. It's encouraging to see yours turn out so well...gives me hope!

Gwendolyn said...

I have one of these, too. Your son gives me hope. Tell him "Happy Birthday" for me! :o)

Junosmom said...

What a gorgeous smile. Can I send him my seventeen year old's photo? (girl that is, these days you have to make that clear). Happy Birthday!

Dawn said...

That a kid with the nickname Danger Boy made it to 18 in one happy piece is a wonderful accomplishment! LOL

randomrevelations said...

He has gotten longer and hairier, but those eyes have never changed!

Kelley said...

Hey he made it to 18.

That picture of the back flip off the diving board caused my daughter to claim....WOW he is really crazy.

I love my practical child.

shipra said...

oh yay! I found you again. Lost your blog there for awhile and needed a good honest laugh this a.m. What a cutie he is!

lillinda said...

He's adorable ! And really, he IS worth all that silver hair !
lillinda

Kim said...

He is a cutie, and probably a charmer as well. I have one like that, too. We called him Kamikaze Kid. Loved all the pix!

pinkthis said...

I can't believe you didn't include the ace bandage=Burt picture in this post. That is, seriously, one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Keeley said...

Happy Birthday, Danger Boy! Many happy returns of the day. =)

What a cute boy he is. =)

Wait...did he turn 18 in time to vote? What a total bummer if he just missed it.

TC said...

Keeley, he missed the vote by TWO DAYS.

Mostly Sunny said...

He is SOOOOOO handsome. And sweet. I miss that dear boy. When can he vacation on Boulevard of the Deaf in the Land of Memory Loss?

40winkzzz said...

I have one of those newly-minted-18-yr-olds as well. (Mine missed the vote by 8 days. And I had that figured out by the time she was born.) I keep telling her that "18 is just a number", but she doesn't seem to agree...

btw, good for you, getting all those pics in the post. I am too lazy, I mean busy, to scan photos for my blog. Never mind that I need to scan a bunch for her graduation scrapbook. I'd rather stress myself out by doing that in May.

trinabambina said...

My kid likes to work balanced on his head too!! Guess I better go buy some hair dye, if the rest fits too!