Friday, November 21, 2008

Can I get a parenting do-over?

Everyone aquainted with my daughter, Bunhead, knows that she believes that in any given situation, she should be wearing the t-shirt that says, "I'm The Person In Charge." When she was six, if you asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up, she didn't say, "a princess" or "a ballerina" or "a mommy." No. Her planned career path was Evil Dictator.

Fast forward ten years. This was the conversation I overheard in our kitchen last week.

15-year-old Fashion Bug, to Bunhead: What are you making?
Bunhead: Eggnog.
FB: Can I have some?
Bunhead: Only if you do what I say.
FB, hesitantly: Okay... but I'm not going to kill anyone for you.

Great. I read all the wrong parenting books. Here I was all worried about stranger danger and peer pressure and sex education, when I should have been pouring over How to Extortion-Proof Your Child and So Your Daughter Wants to be Head of the Mafia!

2 comments:

Kelley said...

I think that is too funny...and I would watch Bunhead closely...the friend might know she is up to something.

Junosmom said...

Perhaps she could get a position as say....Secretary of State.