Friday, June 27, 2008

Lessons from Boston

Three things I learned today while spending 3 hours lost in downtown Boston:

1. Do not bother to look for street signs in Boston. There are none. At least, none on the street corners that you will specifically be looking for.

2. Traffic lights mean something entirely different in Boston than in the rest of the world. Green: cheer for the Celtics. Yellow: cheer for the Bruins. Red: cheer for the Red Sox. Feel free to make a left-hand turn across oncoming traffic no matter which team is highlighted.

3. If you see a yellow line on the road to the left of your car, it means that you are in the "chapping lane." The yellow line indicates that you may, at any given time, steer your vehicle so that half of it is in the neighboring lane of oncoming cars. Then, because some idiot up the street is turning left while cheering for the Red Sox, you will block oncoming traffic for a full 3 minutes, thereby chapping the other four hundred thousand drivers trying to go by you.

Gotta run. I'm using a computer at a hotel at which I'm not even staying. I think. There aren't any street signs, so for all I know, I'm in Quebec.

6 comments:

Antelope said...

Sounds like fun!! I hope you'll take some pictures to share...

Jess

Annemarie said...

You certainly didn't mean that folks that cheer for the Red Sox are idiots... except when they turn left on a red light...right?

My mom and brother recently toured the Boston area and my brother was the one that did the driving. He is from CA and all he could mutter over and over was how nutty the drivers were. I think it permanently scarred him.

~Annemarie

TobyBo said...

I'm beginning to understand why my brother did not have a car while in grad school in Boston...

Mostly Sunny said...

I've been there, and everything you say is true. Scary, ain't it?

Mom2Mom Ministry said...

Lessons from the Deeper Still Conference in Atlanta Georgia...
1. Valet parking is 24$ PER night.
2. Shoulder bags are NOT the ticket. Those big rolling suitcases are the ticket in a 28 story building.
3. 19,000 women trying to go to the bathroom during breaks is a lot of women! Oh my goodness! Boo Mama found this:
http://www.biorelief.com/stadium-gal.html
(She was there too)
Julie
www.homeschoolblogger.com/juliestew

Susan in Elk Grove, CA said...

Aaaah, the memories. The signage in Boston is definitely from another planet. We got stuck on a traffic circle at 1 a.m. for I don't know how long. It was a nightmare! I never want to drive in that city again.