Thursday, May 22, 2008

The time I wanted soooo badly to say, "I told you so."

So, there we were, loading up for our trip to Florida, when Hubster announced, "Well, I've got the trailer all ready."

Trailer?!

Yes indeedy, it seemed we were going to haul a large trailer behind our van, in order to transport many large chunks of wood that probably were at one time a national forest, so that Hubster could exchange them for a Floridian dentist's one-time-national-forest. My brain actually made an audible "ka-CHING!" sound as I quickly calculated how much extra money this was going to cost in fuel. Let's just say it was enough to purchase the entire lumber inventory at our local Home Depot. Plus a barbeque grill and some lawn chairs, so the kids & I could relax while Hubster loaded up his shiny new wood onto the dreaded trailer. Well, apparently the extra cost did not worry Hubster, which surprised me. This is the guy who micromanages our expenses down to how much ketchup our kids may put on their burgers. (I swear I am not making this up.)

"Are you sure the trailer can handle this much weight?" I asked. Hubster gave me a look that said, Don't you have to go pack some ridiculously large hat or something? so I shut up.

And so it was that, one hour later, we were in the middle of downtown Dallas, during evening rush hour, on a one-lane overpass, when a trailer tire blew out.

Have I mentioned that I'm scared to death of heights? I mean, I get nervous when I have to wear thick socks. And this overpass we were on was one of the highest in the city. Personally, I think that if you can see a commercial airline pilot's ear hair as he flies by your car window, the roadway is too danged high.

Besides that, I was worried that Hubster was going to be flattened by one of the cars zooming up over that roadway like it was the curve at Texas Motor Speedway. I comforted myself by realizing that we were so high up, he'd have time to craft a parachute from his underwear and locate the nearest tire store before he reached the ground.

Then Hubster discovered that he had neglected to bring a "four-way," which isn't as naughty as it sounds. It's a tool for changing tires. I wanted to suggest that maybe he should carve one from his load of wood, but thought better of it.

In the end, the tire got changed, and although we were three hours behind schedule we did make it to Florida, and we did receive an even bigger load of wood to bring home to Texas.

Which blew out the other tire on our return trip.

So if you were driving on a dark, busy Mississippi highway at about 12:30 am on April 27, and you saw a woman by the side of the road, attempting to light a trailer load of logs on fire, that was me.

8 comments:

randomrevelations said...

I know...I know. Give him a hug for me!

lillinda said...

i LOVE YOUR VACATIONS. MAKES ME GLAD THAT WE ARE SO BORING !
lINDA

lillinda said...

Oops. I didn't mean to talk in all caps. Someone told me that was like hollering. I ain't hollering but I was cleaning the pop-tarts and what else out of the keyboard. sorry.
Linda

Kaitlyn said...

I wanna know about the missing sons and the armed police officers. Spill!

Halfmoon Girl said...

funny stuff... I will have to come back and read more later!

40winkzzz said...

Now I remember why I like to read your blog. Thanks for the laugh. (Sorry I couldn't come up with a wittier or at least more intelligent comment than that. I'm sure I'll think of one tomorrow.)

Emma said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

CrossView said...

*Gulp* That would scare me.

Men do make life interesting, don't they??!!