Friday, January 11, 2008

Not the look I was going for.

So I'm entering into this new relationship with my hair. In the past, I treated my hair like my husband - if I didn't like the way it (he) was, I tried to change it (him). This resulted in a lifetime of changes and experiments, including cutting, coloring, perming, straightening, highlighting, styling, and the occasional threat to get rid of it altogether. (Not Hubster, just the hair. Although he could use a little styling, what with his wardrobe staples being torn t-shirts and baggy shorts mottled with wood stain.) For the longest time, anyone I met who hadn't seen me for the previous 3 months would say, "Gosh, you've really changed your hair." I was a walking art project.

But I finally reached a point where I'm accepting my hair for what it is. Or maybe I'm just too tired to care.

Anyway. The other day, after my hair had dried into its usual mass of long waves, I had an epiphany - I look like Dyan Cannon! How cool is that? Well, it would be cooler if anyone younger than 50 had even heard of Dyan Cannon. But here she is, in a photo from Oct. 2007.

I should probably mention that DC is 70 years old in this photo. I guess to be honest, I should say that only my hair looks like Dyan Cannon. The rest of me looks like Dyan Cannon's mother.

In any case, I've been reveling in my new confident self-awareness and radiating with love for my locks. Until yesterday.

Daughter #2 (age 14) said, "Gee, Mom, your hair looks .... "
I jumped in to finish her statement. "Pretty? Wavy? Full of volume? Stylish? Attractive? Great?"
Daughter paused, then replied, "... cave-woman-ish."

12 comments:

Kelley said...

I got like that with my hair which is straight all the way to the bottom where it does this flip out and curl thing that really isn't cute. I got sicks of straightening every morning so I bought headbands and said forget it!

Mostly Sunny said...

Cave woman, huh? I think I'd make that child do her own food hunting for a week, make her eat it raw, and the respond to her with only the sounds of "ugh, ugh."

Sunydazy said...

Oh! Oh! I've told hubby for years that someday I would look like Dyan Cannon...That is definitely the grandma look I would like to have.
However I think I'm destined to look more like Aunt Bea...
I think your hair is great...nothing cave-womanish about it!

Chris said...

oh come on, cave woman look is so in! :)

bensrib said...

I say hold her down and shave her head. Then ask her again how your hair looks. In Christian love, of course.

TobyBo said...

are you still feeding daughter #2?

Deb said...

I love how that photo of Dyan shows her hands (perhaps not as plastic) next to her face (110% altered.) One of these things is not like the other.

Diesel said...

Dyan Cannon is a little freaky looking, but for a 70 year old... damn.

Junosmom said...

I love changing my hair color to see how many people have basic manners. The unmannered ones come up and say - "Your hair is a different color." I like to practice responses like "your point is....?" or "how nice of you to notice" or "yes, I got frightened yesterday" and so on.

~Rhen said...

LOLOLOLOL!! Sorry but that was funny. I have had my precious little ones critique something on me and that usually has me skulking out of the room mumbling under my breath. Sigh.

:)

Dy said...

Hey! I'm under 50, and I know who Dyan Cannon is!! Of course, that's because I spent my entire life trying to explain how to spell my name. "D-y-a-n. Yes. No, no 'a' at the end. No, no 'i'. Like Dyan Cannon." For some reason, that was the *only* way for people to get that yes, it's pronounced "Diane", but it's SPELLED D-y-a-n.

Anyway, now I have hair envy.

And really, what's not sexy about a man with wood stain on his shorts, right? I mean, we work with what we've got... ;-)

Dy

Anonymous said...

I have the same hair. Naturally, the waves have always been there. I let it be. I refer to it as "that fresh laid look". lol