Friday, November 2, 2007

I need a swimming pool full of Calgon.

Good gravy on a biscuit, it's been one of those days.

It started with picking up my dog from the vet, where she had had her leg amputated. Very sad indeed. although her tail doesn't seem to know it. Took my 14 year old shopping, where she spent an hour trying on jackets - all of them tan cordouroy. It was like that parade of pink elephants in the Dumbo movie, but not as happy. I drove 200 miles, most of it in rush-hour traffic, and learned that it's hard to love an idiot with a cellphone in a Volvo going 20 mph under the speed limit. Stopped to pick up dinner at a chicken place, and found out they were out of mashed potatoes, but they could substitute fried okra. What?! How does that happen? It's like a Hallmark store running out of cards. "Sorry, we don't have any birthday cards today. Would you like to send your grandmother this lovely ceramic figurine of a pig on a Harley instead?"

And now I have four teenage boys plus Bunhead here at the house. I'm hearing The Pretenders on Guitar Hero in the living room, migraine-inducing electric guitar feedback out in the garage, and the Transformers movie on the TV. The dogs are trying to commit suicide in their water bowl.

At this point, I'm not even sure I know my own name. So I'm just going to post a photo of my latest apron. It's from the Retro Aprons pattern book by Cindy Taylor Oates.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

14 comments:

Susan in Elk Grove, CA said...

"Calgon, take me away" is a very anxiety-diffusing thing to say, even though it doesn't really DO anything. I am enjoying your blog; found you a couple of weeks ago (don't remember how--I'm turning 50 next week and my short-term memory is pretty well shot).
I love that apron. Is that your picture or is it from the pattern? That fabric combination is lovely!

Suzanne said...

Hey TC
Nice to see you're back in fine form. Made me laugh the last two times. Hope what ever was blocking the funny bone stays away. Good luck

Suzanne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Finally, a funny post again! Keep it up.

Mostly Sunny said...

Huh. I almost forget what all the mayhem is like. My evening "concert" usually consists of dogs crunching on kibble.

Beth said...

Your day sounds incredibly tiring. But...I DO love that apron! Do you sell them? They are super cute, not to frilly, but just enough to be sweet. Email me to let me know if you sell them or if they are just a hobby, but I'm thinking, how many aprons can one gal need?
bethdube@gmail.com

:) beth

Shelley said...

Did you get my apron made yet? You know, one of the last apron you posted, but for mwah? Oh, you're still working on it? Okay, then, but I do hope you'll hurry. I do LOTS of cooking and I don't want to get EasyMac cheese on my clothes!!! I'm sure you don't want that for me either. :) I will pay good money for it, you know, to help with the vet bill, and so you can buy headache medicine and Calgon, and more aprons patterns and all, well, and of course underwear and socks for those boys of yours!

Anonymous said...

Love Love Love the apron. I really need to make myself a retro apron.
Susan

Sunydazy said...

LOVE the apron! Gorgeous fabrics! I have that book on my wish list...

And hmmmm....once I got all the little ones to sleep it was fairly quiet here at my house...:-)

We didn't even eat very much food around here without the 2 teens ..but I'll bet your pantry is probably feeling lost and somewhat empty after yesterday!

Tiffany said...

I totally LOVE that apron!! How very retro and Brady like. Love it!

Keeley said...

Oh no! What happened to your puppy that its leg needed to be amputated? I do hope he's recovering ok?

Wow, woman, you can SEW! What an EL COOLIO apron! Gorgeous. =)

Chris said...

Yeah well I hope things get less hecktic...wow did i just spell that wrong? O_o

Michelle W. said...

That apron is darling!
DO you follow patterns or do you make up your own pattern? (I still adore that little humbug bag that you sent to me!)

You should post 'sewing lessons' on your blog! ;-)

Blessings,
Michelle

Sleepless Stitch said...

Very cute apron! The colors are wonderful and yummy :)
~Christina