Thursday, October 4, 2007

Why buy museum passes when we can just open my closet door?

I guess my generation has officially made it to antique status.

I first realized this when I was setting up some audiovisual equipment at work, and one of the young men on the front row asked, "What is that?" After letting out a sigh that mimicked the sound of air brakes, I explained that it was a slide projector. "Wow!" he marveled. "I've never seen one of those!" I could have written that off as cultural ignorance - most of the population here in Dirtville still hasn't discovered those things called "books" - but then the next thing happened.

Yesterday, Sasquatch was cleaning out a closet and he came across a box marked Panasonic Turntable. When he asked me what it was, and I told him it was a record player, he gasped, "We have one of those?!" You'd have thought he'd just discovered that we own a bicuspid from a Tyrannosaurus Rex. Later, he came across the records and I thought I was going to have to get him an inhaler, which is saying something because he doesn't even have asthma.

Great. I know what's going to happen next. My kids are conniving and broke, which means they'll start charging their friends to come over and see their mom, CroMagnon Woman, and her cave of prehistoric wonders.

7 comments:

Lori (MiryClay) said...

Too funny! We could use that turn table in my family. My mother still has 2 cases of 45's at her house. They are in these round plastic cases with a white handle on top. They are 70's blue & gold. They contain such hits as "Delta Dawn", "I Don't Like Spiders & Snakes", and of course all of her Elvis Presley's Greatest Hits.

Blessings,
Lori

Anonymous said...

Hey, TC, I have some 8-track tapes from my dad that we can throw in the mix. And some 45rpm records. I'll look around and see what else I can find. Anything to help your kids earn money!
--Mary

CerealKiller said...

Lol

We have a record player, but we never use it and it's downstairs in our basement in a far corner. ^^,

Mostly Sunny said...

I actually ASKED for a record player for Christmas last year. Now I can listen to my "old" stuff... the operable word there is "can." Well, I've listened to some! Mom came down one day and we even listened to some Eddie Fisher singles!

Beth said...

Oh my gosh, you had me rolling today!! I love it! My daughter recently asked me if we had cars when I was little. Oh, come on!

beth

Junosmom said...

Mmmm...My daughters would be looking up the value of these artifacts on eBay. We do have a turntable. I last saw it working in 1986. Sure glad we've hung on to it.

freaking out on the prairie said...

This reminded me of a cd I got from my daughter a few years ago. She was so excited because she had found this great "new" guitarist that she just knew I was going to love.
......CARLOS SANTANA........

She was flabbergasted when I showed her my 1978 album.