Friday, October 26, 2007

Deja vu all over again

I just spent a lovely week with my parents, who drove to Texas from their home 1500 miles away. My father is 75 and can hear about as well as an acorn squash - and that's only if he has both hearing aids in and turned on. My mother is 74 and memory-challenged. I don't know why some young people say they don't know how to talk to elderly people. I found it pretty easy. We just had the same conversation every day for seven days. My dad never heard more than one-third of it, and my mom never remembered it. I felt like I was in the retirement home version of "Groundhog Day."

On top of that, my mother arrived with a new cell phone and a new digital camera. For my technologically impaired parents, this combination of challenges was the equivalent of piloting the space shuttle to Mars while simultaneously performing open heart surgery on conjoined orphaned triplets. I wondered why my mother hadn't answered her phone in the three days they were on the road. It was because she didn't know how to turn it on. I don't know why they have a cell phone. Last month, they used it for a total of THIRTEEN minutes, and I don't even know how that happened. I mean, a blind llama could fall out of the sky, break through their roof, and use the phone to call 911 and a roofing contractor while my mom was still trying to figure out how to plug in the phone charger.

I'm short on time right now, but I have more to tell about their visit. Next entry I'll write about The Piano That Went on Vacation, and How Many Apple Pies Will a 25 Square Foot Freezer Hold?

11 comments:

Dawn said...

ROLLING over the blind llama comment!

bensrib said...

Oh I'm looking forward to the vacationing piano part! My parents also couldn't figure out how to turn their phone on. They were about to take it back because it "didn't work." Glad I saved them the embarassment.

Jess said...

Hi Ms. TC!

Thanks for the comment! I understand what you mean by wanting spring already (especially on nights like tonight) but the day time temperature is pretty nice...isn't it? =)

Well, hope to talk to you soon! (Or see you...)

Jess

lillinda said...

Reading this post after spending 3 days, this past week in various doctors offices with my mom and dad, I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.
Can't wait to read Part 2
Linda

Mostly Sunny said...

Bwah ha ha ha... I ain't no dummy. Why do you think I took Mom shopping for a new camera BEFORE she came to visit you? That way YOU have to suffer through teaching her how to use it. Teaching her on Wed., on Thurs., on Fri., on Sat., on Sun., on Mon., on Tues., on Wed., and on Thurs. Now she has 2 days in the car to forget it all. So much for my plan...:(

lillinda said...

Hey, TC,
My son (the eldest)(the one my dad calls everytime he tries to turn on his computer) just walked thru while I was rolling on the floor and read your post. He TOTALLY identifies with it .
Keep it coming,
Linda

Keeley said...

Hi TC, I'm tagging you. =)

If you'd like to, link back to me and tell us 7 things about you and then tag 7 others you'd like to learn about. you then do as i'm doing and leave them a comment that tells them they been tagged!

CerealKiller said...

Rofl I can't even imagine someone that age with a new cell phone or camera...

I found an avatar that I thought you would like: (Link below)

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Cereal-Killer/Avatars/lettherebechocolate.gif

Tiffany said...

I'm going to visit my parents next weekend. ALL. weekend. I'm no tsure I could have survived an entire week. The thought alone is almost too much.

Chris said...

heyo lol when u turn 75 i'm gonna write a post bout u :)

Supernatural said...

.... this will totally be you someday, and I'll be writing these posts about all the silly things YOU do. ;)

BTW, it's time for a new entry, methinks.