Sunday, January 21, 2007

Stream of semi-consciousness

Man, I'm tired. I don't know what possessed me to let Fashion Bug have a sleepover with two friends last night when we had to be up at 4:00 am today for a hockey game. I could fall asleep sitting up. Maybe I already have....

...When I went to bed at midnight, those girls were still talking. They must have eventually passed out from using up all the oxygen in the room....

...Fashion Bug and her friends like to talk about boys. FB has, unfortunately, seen some girls/women hurt by boys/men, and apparently she's been pondering this, because she came to me this week and said, "Mom, you just can't trust guys, can you?" Ouch. A thirteen year old cynic. I was reminded of the ripple effects of sin. Now I'm faced with the task of teaching her the delicate balance between expecting the best from men, yet being cautious to protect herself and her heart. Gosh, life was easier when she was three, and my biggest parenting challenge was teaching her to put her shoes on the right feet. (For a couple of years there, she invariably looked like Charlie Chaplin from the knees down.)...

...Things were easier before cancer, too. When you get cancer, no one tells you you're going to become absurdly paranoid about every twitch and twinge. I've had some back pain this week, and my brain keeps racing back and forth between two options: A) possible metastases of my cancer, or B) aging body. I don't like either option. Where's option C: none of the above?...

...Sasquatch played a team today from Lafayette, Louisiana, called the Catahoulas. My sixteen year old son, who apparently has a short circuit somewhere in his occipital region, kept calling them the Benihanas....

...And for the Out In Left Field file, this question was posed to me today by Sasquatch: "Can you get arthritis in your teeth?"...

...Oy. I need to go to bed. I just woke up to find my head on the keyboard and my tongue caught between the "h" and "j" keys.

No comments: