Sunday, May 14, 2006

Reflections on Mother's Day

Eighteen years ago, Mother's Day was difficult for me, because I was beginning to despair of ever hearing a little voice call me "Mommy." Four miracles later, I sometimes wonder when I'll get a respite from the constant refrain of "Mom? Mom!"


And what is it with kids when their mother is in the bathroom? Why is that the time that mom is needed most urgently? Of course, when children are very small, they have no compunction about following mom right into the bathroom. But let me assure you, the only thing that changes when kids become teens is the 2-inch hollow-core door between you and them. I can guarantee that any time I slip away into the bathroom, within twelve seconds I'll hear the following:


Child #1, rushing into the house: "Where's Mom?"


Child #2: "I don't know."


Both children together, loud enough to cause bricks to fall off the house: "MOM? MOM! MOMMMMMM!"


Me, sighing, and then yelling back loud enough to cause bricks to fall off the neighbor's house: "I'm in the bathroom!" Meaning, of course, "Can this wait while I have two minutes of peace & solitude?"


Child #1, not getting my meaning, and now standing and yelling through the bathroom door: "I need a paperclip, a 3-way lightbulb, and some frozen asparagus! And do we have any lighter fluid?"


Me: "Just wait a minute!!"


Child #1: "But it's an EMERGENCY!"


Gee whiz. No wonder we older moms end up with bladder problems.

Anyway. I hope you all had a very blessed Mother's Day. My fifteen year old son took me out to lunch at a Mexican restaurant, and when I visited the ladies' room, no one came looking for me. Ahhhh.

No comments: