Sunday, November 20, 2005

Necessity is the mother of the inventive use of kitchen utensils.

One of the other hockey moms knows how to knit, a domestic skill that I have tried but never mastered. She very patiently taught knit-and-purl to my very bored 15 year old son this weekend. Son came home with a new Purpose In Life: to make a scarf. He dug up an old ball of yarn and then asked for the use of my knitting needles. Now, this is a child who has spread death and destruction with nothing more than a cotton swab and a midget sweet pickle, so my gracious response was, naturally, "What?! Are you CRAZY?" Let's face it, knitting needles in the wrong hands just scream, "Impale something on us!" or at least, "Make a really hideous sweater!"


Son, who is nothing if not persistent, was not to be deterred from his newfound Purpose. When I awoke from my Sunday afternoon nap, I discovered him several rows into his scarf. He had ingeniously discovered a substitute for knitting needles - chopsticks. To my amazement and choked-back laughter, I saw that he had produced a pretty good facsimile of a scarf.


Then I thought about how like this I am in my relationship with my beloved Savior. He created me with a wonderful Purpose, to glorify and enjoy Him forever. I can find joy, peace, fulfillment, and satisfaction in Him. But my human tendency is to settle for lesser results with lesser things.


Chopsticks are not, in and of themselves, evil things. My son's scarf was a good creation produced out of a good desire. God has given me many good things - friends, talents, this blog - which I enjoy and use with good intentions, and He blesses me with mostly good results. But these things will never come close to producing the glorious sanctification that is a result of deep intimacy with God. I must remind myself to seek satisfaction in Him, not in the things of this world, no matter how good they may be.


In case you were wondering, I ended up loaning my plastic knitting needles to my son. Let us all hope I will not soon have to blog about them being used for 'possum hunting, marshmallow roasting, or kite making.

No comments: